G. Dep hugged his lawyer after hearing the jury's verdict in an unusual trial that came about only because of his confession, which he didn't deny making but suggested was mismatched to the slaying with which he was charged.
The 37-year-old rapper faces at least a 15-years-to-life prison term at his sentencing, set for May 8.
Regardless, he remains convinced he did the right thing by coming forward, defense lawyer Anthony Ricco said.
"He has a conscience and a heart, and his conscience and his heart brought him to where he is today," Ricco said after court. ". He's probably making the most powerful statement a rapper of his era can make, which is to be accountable and to do the right thing."
Prosecutors, though, saw G. Dep as a man who'd committed a deliberate and deadly crime, then provided the proof years later.
"Eighteen years ago, the defendant made a calculated decision to steal from, shoot, and kill an innocent person on the street," Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said in a statement.
The rapper, born Trevell Coleman, made his surprise confession in late 2010, almost a decade after his career's brief heyday. As part of rap impresario Sean "Diddy" Combs' roster of talent at Bad Boy Records in the late 1990s and early 2000s, G. Dep scored a rap-chart hit with "Special Delivery," and the video for his "Let's Get It" helped popularize a loose-limbed dance called the Harlem shake.
His career lost steam, and his life spiraled into drug use, disarray and a slate of arrests on drug, trespassing and other charges. But he had finished a drug-treatment program and had released a new album online in the months before he went to a police precinct to say he'd fired at someone on a Harlem corner when he was about 17 to 19.
The victim grabbed the rapper's .40-caliber gun, and he pulled it back and fired at the man three times. Then, he said, he rode off on a bicycle, unsure whether the man had been struck.
Authorities paired his account with the 1993 death of John Henkel, 32. Henkel was shot three times with a .40-caliber gun at the same corner in October 1993, when G. Dep was nearing his 19th birthday.
"The more you study the evidence . you'll see it just matches up too greatly for coincidence," Assistant District Attorney David Drucker said in an opening statement.
But Ricco questioned whether police had made the right match. He noted discrepancies between G. Dep's statement and Henkel's shooting - including that the rapper said he thought the shooting happened in February or March, rather than the fall, and described the victim as blond and clean-shaven when Henkel had brown hair and wore facial hair.
The rapper, he said, has no way of knowing for certain whether Henkel was indeed the man he shot. He ultimately filled in some of the details from information police gave him, the lawyer said.
G. Dep is married and a father of three school-age children, the youngest of them 7-year-old twins. His wife and mother wept after hearing the verdict, and his relatives are heartbroken and torn about his decision to speak up, Ricco said.
"Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL."
Watch G-Dep's "Special Delivery" Video
See Disappointing Sophomore Album Covers
- Missy Elliott, 'Da Real World'
- Foxy Brown, 'Chyna Doll'
- 50 Cent, 'The Massacre'
- R. Kelly, 'R. Kelly'
- E-40, 'In a Major Way'
- Drake, 'Take Care'
- Tyrese, '2000 Watts'
- Chris Brown, 'Exclusive'
- Lil Wayne, 'Lights Out'
- Ciara, 'Evolution'
- Hip-Hop and R&B Musicals
- 10. 'You Got What I Need: A Love Story' -- Starring Biz Markie
- 9. 'The Birth of Big Baby Jesus' -- Starring Ol' Dirty Bastard
- 8. 'Daily Mathematics' -- Starring the Wu-Tang Clan
- 7. 'The Invention Of Sex' -- Starring Trey Songz
- 6. 'Lost One' -- Starring Lauryn Hill
- 5. 'An Officer and a Gentleman' -- Starring Rick Ross
- 4. 'Everyday Is My B'Day' -- Starring Beyonce
- 3. 'Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself' -- Starring Jay-Z
- 2. 'Yeezy Taught Me' -- Starring Kanye West
- 1. 'The Exorcism of Roman Zolanksy' -- Starring Nicki Minaj
- R&B Quiz
- 1. The scenario that best describes your love life is:
- 2. You'd most likely lure your lover into the bedroom with the tagline:
- 3. You realize your lover is cheating on you. Your reaction would be to:
- 4. Your preferred word choice for hitting a high note is:
- 5. You don't leave home without:
- 6. Which of the following statements would you most likely tweet?
- 7. If a fan were to take a picture of you with their camera phone, you would most likely react by:
- 8. The old school R&B influence that best describes your taste in music is:
- 9. Your idea of doing something risky in a music video is:
- 10. Seated at your Thanksgiving table would most likely be:
- Chris Brown
- Mary J. Blige
- Erykah Badu
- Hip-Hop Quiz
- 1. Which of these jobs best describes your daily 9-to-5?
- 2. When you wake up in the morning, the first thing you throw on is:
- 3. You've just won the lottery. The first car you run out and buy is:
- 4. The person you'd want most to sit shotgun in your new ride is:
- 5. Your idea of a fun night on the town is:
- 6. Your idea of a "classic" video is:
- 7. Your drink of choice is:
- 8. In your spare time, you'd most likely be spotted:
- 9. Upon seeing your date get hit on at the club, you calmly:
- 10. You'd prefer to prove your hip-hop cred by:
- Nicki Minaj