is supplying The BoomBox with the top lyrics of the week and serving a meaning behind the raps in the process. This week was a time when the veterans jumped to the head of the class. While rap is ever-focused on the newest and hottest, often to the detriment of listeners, experienced artists keep plugging away and creating great music. So it is this week, as Kool Keith
gets poetic, Diamond D
throws some internal rhymes at us, Freeway
gives us dieting tips and Kanye West
reminds us of one of the best urban legends in hip-hop. The only relative newcomer to make the list this week is B.o.B.
, who puns on rap's second couple -- Jay-Z and Beyonce being the first couple, of course, if not the royal family.
5. "Spirit of the golden Palestinian Indian/ The formula's cold, you simian," -- Kool Keith, "Extra Thoughts" Lyrics
What does it mean? Who knows! Who cares! Keith's words are evocative and poetic, in the style of his best work. Literal meaning (what is a Palestinian Indian?) floats away, but something more associative and beautiful glides in instead.
4. "I got the nice thing with the Breitling on the dash/ And it's frightening, I'm like lightning on that ass," -- Diamond D, "Deflate Ya" Lyrics
The legendary Diamond D, the creator of one of rap's greatest albums (Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop
), returns full-force with this tune. The beat, as usual, is wonderful, and this segment of the words shows off his gift for internal rhymes ("nice thing"/"Breitling"/"frightening"/"lightning"). Welcome back, D!
3. "Y'all people think we don't know that y'all cake like Hostess/ While we getting cake like Oprah/ Better go and eat your vegetables, broccoli and your okra/ Thinking you can stop me is hopeless," -- Freeway, "Six Degrees of Separation" Lyrics
Free has long been one of our favorite rappers, and while comparing one's wealth to Oprah's is played-out, we just can't resist a lyric that mentions okra!
2. "They ain't about that life, they ain't about that life/ We hanging out the window, it's about to be a Suge night," -- Kanye West, "I Don't Like" Lyrics
One of hip-hop's greatest shaggy-dog stories is the one about Death Row Records honcho Suge Knight
and Vanilla Ice
. Supposedly, Knight dangled Ice out of a hotel room window in order to get the rapper to sign over the publishing rights to his hit "Ice Ice Baby," which sampled music from one of Suge's artists. This story, which never has been and likely never will be definitively confirmed or disproved, has taken on epic proportions over the years, and Yeezy nods to it here.
1. "And if I hit your house, no Rose and no Khalifa/ Meaning, ain't bringing no flowers and no reefer," -- B.o.B., "Up (Remix)" Lyrics
This lyric tips its hat to rap's couple of the moment, the newly engaged (congrats, guys!) Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa
. B.o.B. here puns on Rose's name and Khalifa's propensity to, well, smoke reefer.
Hot Songs of the Week
Kanye West – "I Don't Like" Lyrics
Childish Gambino – "Make 'Em Mad" Lyrics
Childish Gambino – "The Switch" Lyrics
Childish Gambino – "We Ain't Them" Lyrics
Childish Gambino – "We Flexin'" Lyrics
See B.o.B.'s Top Five Moments Recording Strange Clouds
- 1. Building a State-of-the-Art Studio in My House
- 2. Having Morgan Freeman Agree to Do "Bombs Away"
- 3. Collaborating With Taylor Swift
- 4. Traveling to Denver to Record With Ryan Tedder
- 5. Performing the Piano Work for "Where Are You (B.o.B vs. Bobby Ray)"
- 2 Chainz Lyrics
- 10. "Your eyes wide open, scopin', ropin' hold that thoroughbred/ Pussy wet like April showers, twerkin' power, thorough head."
- 9. "They say the world is finna end, so I made me a bucket list/ All I wanna do is just fuck; so this my fucking list! "
- 8. "I mean all I want for lunch, is a blunt and your girl."
- 7. "My girl is bow-legged, just do it like Bo Jackson."
- 6. "Fucked your girl last night: it only took a week."
- 5. "OK, now Nicki, Nicki, Nicki, put it in your kidney/ Got a new LS 450, ain't no keys in this do-hicky."
- 4. "Couple hoes in my stable, time to stabilize."
- 3. "Take you home complete her/ Then I skeet her and delete her."
- 2. "I'm allergic to the hater type, I'll take your wife, give her back/ Nine months after that, Similac."
- 1. "I fucked her on a pile of clothes/ She a closet freak ."
- Disappointing Album Covers
- Missy Elliott, 'Da Real World'
- Foxy Brown, 'Chyna Doll'
- 50 Cent, 'The Massacre'
- R. Kelly, 'R. Kelly'
- E-40, 'In a Major Way'
- Drake, 'Take Care'
- Tyrese, '2000 Watts'
- Chris Brown, 'Exclusive'
- Lil Wayne, 'Lights Out'
- Ciara, 'Evolution'
- Hip-Hop Quiz
- 1. Which of these jobs best describes your daily 9-to-5?
- 2. When you wake up in the morning, the first thing you throw on is:
- 3. You've just won the lottery. The first car you run out and buy is:
- 4. The person you'd want most to sit shotgun in your new ride is:
- 5. Your idea of a fun night on the town is:
- 6. Your idea of a "classic" video is:
- 7. Your drink of choice is:
- 8. In your spare time, you'd most likely be spotted:
- 9. Upon seeing your date get hit on at the club, you calmly:
- 10. You'd prefer to prove your hip-hop cred by:
- Nicki Minaj
- Nicki Minaj in Asia
Follow @theboombox on Twitter
| Like Us on Facebook
| Sign Up for Newsletter