proves that life is good even while experiencing trials
and tribulations, all of which he speaks about in the June/July
issue of Complex magazine
. The Queens native scores the publication's cover, which celebrates summer in New York City.
In the interview, "The Don" creator has a candid discussion about his ex-wife Kelis
, the material on his forthcoming 10th studio album, Life Is Good
, his relationship with his son Knight and monetary difficulties he is still experiencing after a past incident.
The rap star believes that his relationship with Kelis drastically changed once they got married, when issues surrounding money began to surface.
"Yeah, but it was a problem I was attracted to," Nas states. "It was rock and roll. I saw Kelis as Courtney Love -- but I also saw her as a mahogany queen. I saw us as a beautiful thing. I saw us as inspiration. People weren't seeing hip-hop artists get married. A lot of people came at me crazy. But I think overall, we were inspiring people to love.
However, Nas admitted that the drama surrounding his cash flow wasn't all due to Kelis.
"I let a person take her from me -- and I don't mean my ex-wife, I mean some bad business from, like, six years ago that's affecting me now," the rhymer shares. "And I take responsibility for it, because it's my problem. But I still see that as something I have to fix, because if you don't fix money, it'll fix your ass."
As for his son Knight, the 38-year-old reveals that he's now able to see his son more often since he and Kelis divorced in 2009 -- an act that was prohibited early on in the separation. As he tells it, "I'm at a cool, mature, easy place," which is all reflected in his new album, due July 17.
See Worst Jobs in Hip-Hop
- Lil Wayne's Wikipedia "Discography" Updater
- Snoop Dogg's Tour Bus Driver
- Guy Who Cleans Up After a Rap Show
- Bodyguard for Jay-Z & Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy
- Tax Attorney for Lil' Kim, Big Boi, MC Hammer, Nas & Many More
- Birdman's Car Washer
- Nicki Minaj's Hair Stylist
- The Weed Carrier
- Hip-Hop Quiz
- 1. Which of these jobs best describes your daily 9-to-5?
- 2. When you wake up in the morning, the first thing you throw on is:
- 3. You've just won the lottery. The first car you run out and buy is:
- 4. The person you'd want most to sit shotgun in your new ride is:
- 5. Your idea of a fun night on the town is:
- 6. Your idea of a "classic" video is:
- 7. Your drink of choice is:
- 8. In your spare time, you'd most likely be spotted:
- 9. Upon seeing your date get hit on at the club, you calmly:
- 10. You'd prefer to prove your hip-hop cred by:
- Nicki Minaj
- Disappointing Album Covers
- Missy Elliott, 'Da Real World'
- Foxy Brown, 'Chyna Doll'
- 50 Cent, 'The Massacre'
- R. Kelly, 'R. Kelly'
- E-40, 'In a Major Way'
- Drake, 'Take Care'
- Tyrese, '2000 Watts'
- Chris Brown, 'Exclusive'
- Lil Wayne, 'Lights Out'
- Ciara, 'Evolution'
- Mixtape Timeline
- Late '80s
- Early '90s
- November 1995
- Jan. 16, 2007
- February 2009
- April 2010
- October 2011
- November 2011
- January 2012
Follow @theboombox on Twitter
| Like Us on Facebook
| Sign Up for Newsletter