Getty Images for BET
In a recent conversation with The BoomBox, the singer revealed that his song, "What Happened to U," featured on his latest album, Looking 4 Myself, is not about his ex-wife and mother of his two children, Tameka Fostor, like some critics had thought.
"The other day I heard something, someone had assumed that 'What Happened to U' was about my previous relationship with [my ex-wife] Tameka [Foster]," Usher says. "It is not at all."
The crooner goes on to say that the song was "more of an introspective look" at his first foray in the music industry and describes how he severed a romantic relationship early on in his career.
"It's all about the sacrifices we have to make as entertainers and the fact that when I first signed as an artist, I had a decision to make and I feel like the relationship with my first girlfriend, suffered in that way," he continues.
Even more personally, Mr. Raymond spoke on "Sins of My Father," another track off the album. The song addresses Usher's own missed connections with his distant father and whether he had inherited from him some "generational curse" that effected his own.
Usher, who worked with producers Swedish House Music on the dance tracks "Euphoria" and "Numb," says the latter "is what happens when you encounter that wit's end in life, like the only way to move forward is to allow yourself to go numb and go for what you feel."
Lastly with "Lemme See," Usher reveals the track serves as a reminder for listeners of an earlier, edgier version of himself.
"The song is very much so in your face, available, young Usher shirt-off, that."
See 15 New Albums Debuting This Summer
- Looking 4 Myself, Usher
- Our Version of Events, Emeli Sande
- Live From the Underground, Big K.R.I.T.
- The One, Eric Benet
- Triple F Life: Fans, Friends & Family, Waka Flocka Flame
- Fortune, Chris Brown
- Life Is Good, Nas
- God Forgives, I Don't, Rick Ross
- Two Eleven, Brandy
- Based on a T.R.U. Story, 2 Chainz
- Love IV MMXII, The-Dream
- Braveheart, Ashanti
- O.N.I.F.C., Wiz Khalifa
- Dreams and Nightmares, Meek Mill
- Matangi, M.I.A.
- 2012 BET Awards - Best & Worst Dressed
- 2 Chainz
- Big Sean
- Bobby V.
- Faith Evans
- Kirko Bangz
- Letoya Luckett
- MC Lyte
- Mindless Behavior
- OMG Girlz
- Regina King
- A$AP Rocky
- Boris Kodjoe
- DJ Drama
- Elle Varner
- French Montana
- Jermaine Dupri
- Marsha Ambrosius
- Pusha T
- Rick Ross
- Spike Lee
- Samuel L. Jackson
- Outrageous & Extravagant Hip-Hop and R&B Weddings
- Timbaland & Monique Idlett: Prominent Producer & Wife Wed on Private Island
- Black Eyed Peas' Taboo & Jaymie Dizon: Boyz II Men Sings for Bride & Groom's First Dance
- Eric Benet & Manuela: Bride Breaks Pregnancy News During Wedding Reception
- Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown: A Concert-Sized Ceremony for a Pop Queen & Her R&B King
- Treach & Pepa: Hip-Hop's First Power Couple Tie the Knot
- Kelis & Nas: Bride Dons Bright Green Wedding Dress
- Alicia Keys & Swizz Beatz: Married on the Mediterranean Sea
- T.I. & Tiny: Royal-Style Arrival in a Horse-Drawn Carriage
- Monica & Shannon Brown: Bride Rocks $1 Million in Jewels & Has 40-Piece Gospel Choir
- Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon: Renew Vows in Front of the Eiffel Tower