Fabrice Coffrini, AFP
After winning a gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics, besting his competition in the 400-meter individual medley, Lochte stood atop the podium wearing a shiny star-spangled grill. Lotche bought the bejeweled mouthpiece from Wall and business partner Johnny Dang, who run a custom grill operation, and as photos of Lochte's patriotic grin spread around the world, the Houston rhymer and tooth jeweler earned some invaluable publicity.
"For him to represent us and our culture, the grill culture, it's just shining a light on hip-hop in the Olympics," Wall told XXLMag.com. "Everyone's talking about it ... it's just an incredible thing to be part of. I'm just honored to be part of it. There's not too many world-class swimmers wearing our grill."
Lochte was apparently told that donning the dental bling would prevent him from collecting his medal, so he played it gangsta-style and popped it in after he'd been handed his medal.
The swimmer is a known grill enthusiast, and having purchased a standard model in the past, he commissioned the custom American flag design for the London Games. Valued at between $15,000 and $25,000, the grill contains VS diamonds and red rubies, each of which Wall says were set by hand.
"Of course we gave him the Olympic discount," Wall told XXL, adding that any U.S. athlete who wins gold from here on out gets a free gold grill.
- Nas' 'Stillmatic' Album
- Fat Joe's 'J.O.S.E. (Jealous Ones Still Envy)' Album
- 50 Cent's 'Get Rich or Die Tryin'' Album
- Lil' Kim's 'La Belle Mafia' Album
- Cam'ron's 'Killa Season' Album
- LL Cool J's 'Mama Said Knock You Out' Album
- Eric B. & Rakim's 'Paid in Full' Album
- Master P's 'Da Last Don' Album
- E-40's 'In a Major Way' Album
- Tupac's 'All Eyez on Me' Album
- Sizzling Summer Flings
- B.o.B. & Taylor Swift
- Nas & Nicki Minaj
- J. Cole & Rita Ora
- Justin Bieber & Rihanna
- Lil Wayne & Jennifer Lopez
- Rick Ross & Erykah Badu
- Chris Brown & Brandy
- Meek Mill & Azealia Banks
- Drake & Teyana Taylor
- Machine Gun Kelly & Iggy Azalea
- Outrageous & Extravagant Hip-Hop and R&B Weddings
- Timbaland & Monique Idlett: Prominent Producer & Wife Wed on Private Island
- Black Eyed Peas' Taboo & Jaymie Dizon: Boyz II Men Sings for Bride & Groom's First Dance
- Eric Benet & Manuela: Bride Breaks Pregnancy News During Wedding Reception
- Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown: A Concert-Sized Ceremony for a Pop Queen & Her R&B King
- Treach & Pepa: Hip-Hop's First Power Couple Tie the Knot
- Kelis & Nas: Bride Dons Bright Green Wedding Dress
- Alicia Keys & Swizz Beatz: Married on the Mediterranean Sea
- T.I. & Tiny: Royal-Style Arrival in a Horse-Drawn Carriage
- Monica & Shannon Brown: Bride Rocks $1 Million in Jewels & Has 40-Piece Gospel Choir
- Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon: Renew Vows in Front of the Eiffel Tower