5. "Where I'm from, girls only care about that brown purse/ Black girl lost, but Louis Vuitton made her feel she found earth," -- Jae Millz, "Dutch Masters" Lyrics
Millz gets introspective on this new cut, where news of his impending fatherhood (congrats!) makes him question the materialism so prevalent in his hood. But more than the rhyme itself, we love this line because it hearkens back to two amazing songs: Jay-Z's "Where I'm From" and Nas' "Black Girl Lost."
4. "Stand back while I bust this/You look like you does this/Come and rub my head, girl -- teach me how to Douglas," -- Fabolous, "Dance Move" Lyrics
Fab is a punchline master, and thus a regular on our list. Here, he makes a dirty joke at the expense of the ever-present Dougie dance, which does indeed involve a lot of arm movement. Plus, the faux-formality of calling the dance the "Douglas" cracks us up every time.
3. "So cantankerous/Shit floating, fishing where the anchor is/Swag away, flagging pistols poking in your pancreas," -- Killer Ben, "The World's Most Dangerous" Lyrics
To be fair, we're not exactly sure what this couplet means. However, it sounds dope, the beat is amazing, and it rhymes "cantankerous" with "pancreas," which is an automatic win.
2. "MCM hold the Fendi buckle/Ha! That's what I call an inter-racial couple," -- Pusha T, "Runway" Lyrics
While the Iggy Azalea song which contains this verse is notably terrible (Iggy, who is Australian, raps for some reason with a distracting southern accent), Pusha rides in for the save. He jokes that his MCM belt and Fendi buckle make an odd couple, since MCM, while German originally, is now based in South Korea, and Fendi is Italian.
1. "I spit science and philosophy, giving meaning to letters/Y'all babble on like Nebuchadnezzar," -- Ras Kass, "Beat2Def" Lyrics
Rassy is also a regular on our list, and he'll keep showing up as long as he rhymes like this. Nebuchadnezzar II, who is most famous for his cameo in the Bible where he destroyed pretty much everything, was the king of the Neo-Babylonian Empire from 605 - 562 BCE. We wish that more rappers would turn their punchlines into history lessons -- we would have done much better in school.
Hot Songs of the Week
J. Cole – "Chaining Day" Lyrics
J. Cole – "The Cure" Lyrics
Rick Ross – "Diced Pineapples Lyrics"
Throwback Series: Jay-Z's The Black Album
Jay-Z – "99 Problems" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Allure" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Change Clothes" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "December 4th" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Encore" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Justify My Thug" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Lucifer" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Moment of Clarity" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "My 1st Song" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Public Service Announcement" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "Threat" Lyrics
Jay-Z – "What More Can I Say" Lyrics
Watch "Learn About the History of Rap"