The imagery, evoking the spirit of Jimi Hendrix, was immediately polarizing amongst hip-hop heads. Stylist Fatima B., who's worked with Wiz creating looks for many of his videos and his recent Taylor Allderdice mixtape cover, realizes the bold image may be shocking to some.
"I can understand both sides of people getting it or not getting it," she tells The BoomBox. "It's like Kelis [paving the way with her style] six years ago and you see all these artists now [mimicking it]."
According to Fatima, Wiz has embraced this look for nearly two years -- the entire time she's worked with him. The rapper began planning his artwork with the intention of keeping his burgeoning style at the forefront.
"If you see how Wiz dresses now, it already gives you this whole hippie feel," Fatima adds. "This whole '70s vibe. This sleazy, rockstar-type image. This is what we wanted it to be and we wanted people to see the transition from how Wiz used to dress, up until now. This is where we're at with the album, the music. It all goes together."
Wiz himself echoes the sentiment with a post he wrote on Twitter, describing the LP's artwork. "Im Helpin Everyone Get In Touch With Their Inner Sleaze. If U Dnt Wanna Let It Out, Ill Express It For You [sic]," he wrote.
Finalizing the look for the O.N.I.F.C. album cover took fives days to complete. Fatima searched vintage and thrift stores meticulously to find each piece.
"I know the vision that he wants so he kind of lets me be free with pulling stuff," she reveals. "It's a team decision though."
In the coming months, Fatima B. has a full schedule in an effort to solidify her brand. In addition to building with other musicians, she's collaborating with various stylists, makeup artists and videographers. Her plan is to bring all of these creative types under one umbrella.
For now, she's simply enjoying the response received from her latest work with Wiz.
"We wanted to give people a shock, but it wasn't just that," she insists. "We wanted people to understand the music, his attitude, the weed-smoking, the hippies, the festivals... All of that played into the album cover. It's like a whole lifestyle in a booklet."
Wiz Khalifa's O.N.I.F.C. debuts Sept. 18.
Watch "Wiz Khalifa on Sophomore Album"
See Hip-Hop's Most Expensive Album Covers Valued by a Jeweler
- Nas' 'Stillmatic' Album
- Fat Joe's 'J.O.S.E. (Jealous Ones Still Envy)' Album
- 50 Cent's 'Get Rich or Die Tryin'' Album
- Lil' Kim's 'La Belle Mafia' Album
- Cam'ron's 'Killa Season' Album
- LL Cool J's 'Mama Said Knock You Out' Album
- Eric B. & Rakim's 'Paid in Full' Album
- Master P's 'Da Last Don' Album
- E-40's 'In a Major Way' Album
- Tupac's 'All Eyez on Me' Album
- Outrageous & Extravagant Hip-Hop and R&B Weddings
- Timbaland & Monique Idlett: Prominent Producer & Wife Wed on Private Island
- Black Eyed Peas' Taboo & Jaymie Dizon: Boyz II Men Sings for Bride & Groom's First Dance
- Eric Benet & Manuela: Bride Breaks Pregnancy News During Wedding Reception
- Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown: A Concert-Sized Ceremony for a Pop Queen & Her R&B King
- Treach & Pepa: Hip-Hop's First Power Couple Tie the Knot
- Kelis & Nas: Bride Dons Bright Green Wedding Dress
- Alicia Keys & Swizz Beatz: Married on the Mediterranean Sea
- T.I. & Tiny: Royal-Style Arrival in a Horse-Drawn Carriage
- Monica & Shannon Brown: Bride Rocks $1 Million in Jewels & Has 40-Piece Gospel Choir
- Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon: Renew Vows in Front of the Eiffel Tower
- Sizzling Summer Flings
- B.o.B. & Taylor Swift
- Nas & Nicki Minaj
- J. Cole & Rita Ora
- Justin Bieber & Rihanna
- Lil Wayne & Jennifer Lopez
- Rick Ross & Erykah Badu
- Chris Brown & Brandy
- Meek Mill & Azealia Banks
- Drake & Teyana Taylor
- Machine Gun Kelly & Iggy Azalea