Getty Images for BET
The Norfolk, Va., native, who's currently celebrating the G.O.O.D. Music release Cruel Summer, says the best direction he's received didn't come from his label head Kanye West. Instead, he reveals that G.O.O.D. Music affiliate 2 Chainz, who appears on the LP, inadvertently counseled him on what his career method should be.
"Aww man, I would have to say that the best lesson that I've learned thus far this year is just to work hard," he tells The BoomBox on the red carpet at the 2012 BET Hip Hop Awards. "Grind hard and it'll pay off man. Look at 2 Chainz!"
It appears that Pusha's already begun applying the strategy. After being featured on some of the biggest street singles of the year including Chief Keef's "I Don't Like" and G.O.O.D. Music's own "Mercy," the former Clipse member has spent the past few months working on and promoting Cruel Summer.
Now he says it's time for him to focus on himself. "I'm actually already working on my solo album," he reveals with a smile. "It's still untitled but I'm putting that together now."
August marked the 10th anniversary of his rap debut as half of the Clipse. Their album, Lord Willin', was credited as one of the best releases of 2002. For Pusha T, it's clear that he shines as part of a collective and on his own.
See Hip-Hop's Most Expensive Album Covers Valued by a Jeweler
- Nas' 'Stillmatic' Album
- Fat Joe's 'J.O.S.E. (Jealous Ones Still Envy)' Album
- 50 Cent's 'Get Rich or Die Tryin'' Album
- Lil' Kim's 'La Belle Mafia' Album
- Cam'ron's 'Killa Season' Album
- LL Cool J's 'Mama Said Knock You Out' Album
- Eric B. & Rakim's 'Paid in Full' Album
- Master P's 'Da Last Don' Album
- E-40's 'In a Major Way' Album
- Tupac's 'All Eyez on Me' Album
- Talib Kweli's Favorite Vinyl
- 'People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm,' A Tribe Called Quest
- 'Power,' Ice-T
- 'Don't Believe the Hype,' Public Enemy
- 'Do This My Way,' Kid 'n Play
- 'The Great Adventures of Slick Rick,' Slick Rick
- Lecrae's Favorite Rappers
- Lauryn Hill
- Tupac Shakur
- Lupe Fiasco