Mike Coppola, Getty Images
The drive is sponsored by Saving Our Daughters, and held in memory Iliss Benjamin, daughter of the organization's founder Curtis Benjamin. Sadly, Iliss lost her battle to cancer, and Bratz were her favorite dolls, so her mother launched the organization, partnering with the doll company.
Nas, a native New Yorker, spoke out about his Christmas memories in Queens, and how damage from Hurricane Sandy has made it even more important to reach out to that area this year.
"It's Christmas. I'm from Queens and my first holiday experiences were of course where I grew up. Those are some of my greatest memories. Sandy makes it even more serious this time of the year. It's already the time of the year when people become desperate," the Life is Good creator said.
"Not everyone is able to get their hands on the things they need this time of the year, and Sandy just knocked us down. But New York is strong. We get up fast, man, and we keep swinging. I want to help in any way, shape or form that I can."
Life is Good addresses the deep emotions Nas experienced during his divorce from Kelis, and includes a song dedicated to his daughter Destiny, entitled "Daughters."
"That's another reason why this thing really resonated with me," Nas explained. "My experience with my own daughter got me to write a song about her. Our life has been a roller coaster ride and being a parent going into that is no joke, it's no game.
"When you have a daughter, you want to protect her from the things that I've seen out there. She made me want to stay around at a time in my life where it didn't matter. It made me care. I stayed safe and stayed around and alive."
Nas is one of many artists making donations to gift over 200 Bratz dolls to young girls. For more information about the drive, visit the Saving Our Daughters website.
See Nas' Life Is Good in the Best Hip-Hop & R&B Albums of 2012 (So Far)
- Nas, Life Is Good
- Elle Varner, Perfectly Imperfect
- Curren$y, The Stoned Immaculate
- Frank Ocean, Channel Orange
- Odd Future, The OF Tape Vol. 2
- Emeli Sande, Our Version of Events
- Ab-Soul, Control System
- R. Kelly, Write Me Back
- B.o.B., Strange Clouds
- Rick Ross, God Forgives, I Don't
- Usher, Looking 4 Myself
- Schoolboy Q, Habits & Contradictions
- Robert Glasper Experiment, Black Radio
- Big K.R.I.T., Live From the Underground
- BJ the Chicago Kid, Pineapple Now-Laters
- Outrageous & Extravagant Hip-Hop and R&B Weddings
- Timbaland & Monique Idlett: Prominent Producer & Wife Wed on Private Island
- Black Eyed Peas' Taboo & Jaymie Dizon: Boyz II Men Sings for Bride & Groom's First Dance
- Eric Benet & Manuela: Bride Breaks Pregnancy News During Wedding Reception
- Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown: A Concert-Sized Ceremony for a Pop Queen & Her R&B King
- Treach & Pepa: Hip-Hop's First Power Couple Tie the Knot
- Kelis & Nas: Bride Dons Bright Green Wedding Dress
- Alicia Keys & Swizz Beatz: Married on the Mediterranean Sea
- T.I. & Tiny: Royal-Style Arrival in a Horse-Drawn Carriage
- Monica & Shannon Brown: Bride Rocks $1 Million in Jewels & Has 40-Piece Gospel Choir
- Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon: Renew Vows in Front of the Eiffel Tower
- Most Expensive Hip-Hop Album Covers
- Nas' 'Stillmatic' Album
- Fat Joe's 'J.O.S.E. (Jealous Ones Still Envy)' Album
- 50 Cent's 'Get Rich or Die Tryin'' Album
- Lil' Kim's 'La Belle Mafia' Album
- Cam'ron's 'Killa Season' Album
- LL Cool J's 'Mama Said Knock You Out' Album
- Eric B. & Rakim's 'Paid in Full' Album
- Master P's 'Da Last Don' Album
- E-40's 'In a Major Way' Album
- Tupac's 'All Eyez on Me' Album