In an interview with RollingStone.com after a performance at his 17th Annual House Full Of Toys Benefit Concert on Saturday (Dec. 15) in Los Angeles, he said, "I think we're at a very interesting time now where we can use again tragedy such as this, which is a major tragedy, as a way to moving forward to something that we need to confront. I think people can't think like they're living in the wild, wild west going into 2013."
Wonder continued, "With guns and their accessibilities, there have to be stronger and stricter gun laws. It's OK saying no, it's OK particularly when you know some people are not as mentally stable. So you don't want them to have a gun or any other kind of weapon at their disposal. Here we are in this time where we're all in pain because of the loss ... it's ridiculous. No matter how you look at it, it's ridiculous and if you don't see that there's a need to think differently, to see things a little differently than you did in the past, then you're not in touch with today, you're still lost in yesterday."
During his performance, Wonder also asked the crowd for a moment of silence to honor the shooting victims.
This isn't the first time Wonder has shared his opinion on the need for stricter gun control in the U.S.
After a gunman in Colorado killed 12 movie theater-goers this past July, Wonder said, "I'm concerned about how accessible guns are ... I'm talking about in the hood. That [shooting in Colorado] was also very sad, but this is an occurrence almost every week in various cities. No politician wants to confront it. The right to bear arms? What about the right to live?"
Take The BoomBox R&B Quiz
- 1. The scenario that best describes your love life is:
- 2. You'd most likely lure your lover into the bedroom with the tagline:
- 3. You realize your lover is cheating on you. Your reaction would be to:
- 4. Your preferred word choice for hitting a high note is:
- 5. You don't leave home without:
- 6. Which of the following statements would you most likely tweet?
- 7. If a fan were to take a picture of you with their camera phone, you would most likely react by:
- 8. The old school R&B influence that best describes your taste in music is:
- 9. Your idea of doing something risky in a music video is:
- 10. Seated at your Thanksgiving table would most likely be:
- Chris Brown
- Mary J. Blige
- Erykah Badu
- 10 Singers to Check Out in Honor of Black Music Month
- K. Michelle
- Bei Maejor
- BJ the Chicago Kid
- Carlitta Durand
- Brandon Hines
- Algebra Blessett
- The World Famous Tony Williams
- Terrace Martin
- 15 New Albums Debuting This Summer
- Looking 4 Myself, Usher
- Our Version of Events, Emeli Sande
- Live From the Underground, Big K.R.I.T.
- The One, Eric Benet
- Triple F Life: Fans, Friends & Family, Waka Flocka Flame
- Fortune, Chris Brown
- Life Is Good, Nas
- God Forgives, I Don't, Rick Ross
- Two Eleven, Brandy
- Based on a T.R.U. Story, 2 Chainz
- Love IV MMXII, The-Dream
- Braveheart, Ashanti
- O.N.I.F.C., Wiz Khalifa
- Dreams and Nightmares, Meek Mill
- Matangi, M.I.A.