Patrick Demarchelier, Vogue
[Blue Ivy's] my road dog," Beyoncé says of her one-year-old daughter with Jay-Z. "She's my homey, my best friend."
The singer says she felt a strong kinship with the baby before she even gave birth.
"I felt very maternal around eight months," she says. "And I thought I couldn't become any more until I saw the baby. . . . But it happened during my labor because I had a very strong connection with my child."
She said it was she imagined Blue Ivy inside her, working away.
"I felt like when I was having contractions, I envisioned my child pushing through a very heavy door," she explains. "And I imagined this tiny infant doing all the work, so I couldn't think about my own pain. . . . We were talking. I know it sounds crazy, but I felt a communication."
Beyonce goes on to reveal that Blue Ivy has added conditional meaning to her life.
"I feel like I have something that has grounded me so much more," she says. "Family has always been important. I've always had my mother and my father and my husband. But it's just. . . ." She pauses. "Life is so much more than. . . It's not defined by any of this."
She also scoffs at the notion that she faked her pregnancy.
"That was very odd," she says. "Who even thinks that? Like, who would make that up. . . . You can't take it too seriously."
But she plans to have more children, so she better get used to the rumors.
"When I was younger, there were moments where I said, 'I'm not going to have children,'" Beyoncé confesses. "And then moments when I wanted four. And now I definitely want another, but I don't know when."
Beyonce took home the Best Traditional R&B Performance trophy at the 2013 Grammy Awards last night for "Love On Top."
Watch Beyonce's "Love on Top" Video
See Photos of Beyonce's 31st Birthday
- Beyonce was rocking yacht-style in a preppy sweater.
- Sexy as ever in a swimsuit and sweater, Bey never stops being a star.
- Beyonce's birthday wine.
- Birthday strawberries for Beyonce.
- Here's Queen Bey cutting her adorable cake - it looks home made! Wonder if Jay-Z made time in his busy schedule to bake it for h
- Beyonce's First Week on Instagram
- Bey gets political.
- Bey back in the studio!
- Here she is showing off her latest outfit.
- Modeling a unique silk dress, the "Halo" singer looks as delicate as a china doll.
- Supporting Brooklyn due to her husband Jay-Z's roots!
- Back in the studio, Beyonce is channeling Bob Dylan. That bodes well for this new album!
- Fun Facts About Beyonce
- Beyonce & Blue Ivy Carter
- Beyonce & Jay-Z
- Beyonce & Solange Knowles