John Moore, Getty Images
"She did not sing live," said the official, who refused to reveal their identity. A prerecorded version of the "Star Spangled Banner" was played instead, and that's what people heard.
According to the official, the decision was made by Beyonce herself, and might have been informed by her late arrival on Sunday, which didn't allot her enough time to rehearse with the U.S. Marine Band.
"Because she didn't have time to rehearse with the Marine Band, she decided to use her recording with the Marine Band," said the official. "It was all Beyonce."
As for the rendition that people did hear, it was a combination of her prerecorded vocals with the U.S. Marine Band filling in live.
"She's actually a very good live singer," the official added, and said they were "puzzled" as to why she decided to lip sync when it was clear from the prerecorded version that she could effortlessly nail the performance.
Bey's been mum on the subject thus far and despite the public outcry has refused to release a statement. That may come any minute now, though. Stay tuned.
See Photos of Beyonce's 31st Birthday
- Beyonce was rocking yacht-style in a preppy sweater.
- Sexy as ever in a swimsuit and sweater, Bey never stops being a star.
- Beyonce's birthday wine.
- Birthday strawberries for Beyonce.
- Here's Queen Bey cutting her adorable cake - it looks home made! Wonder if Jay-Z made time in his busy schedule to bake it for h
- Beyonce's First Week on Instagram
- Bey gets political.
- Bey back in the studio!
- Here she is showing off her latest outfit.
- Modeling a unique silk dress, the "Halo" singer looks as delicate as a china doll.
- Supporting Brooklyn due to her husband Jay-Z's roots!
- Back in the studio, Beyonce is channeling Bob Dylan. That bodes well for this new album!
- Fun Facts About Beyonce
- Beyonce & Blue Ivy Carter
- Beyonce & Jay-Z
- Beyonce & Solange Knowles