Dave M. Benett, Getty Images
At the time, the singer's decision was rumored to have been a consequence of her parents' 2009 divorce, and subsequent reports that her Knowles had fathered a son out of wedlock with actress Alexsandra Wright.
In an hour-long interview with Oprah Winfrey, which will air on Oprah's OWN network just before Beyonce's Life is But a Dream doc premieres on HBO, Beyonce reveals that it was actually her relationship with her father, rather than his extramarital affair, which inspired her decision.
"It took a while for me and my dad to have an understanding. When I turned 18 and started handling my business more, he went into shock. And we had our issues. I'd say 'no' to something, and he'd book it anyway. Then I'd have to do it because I'd look bad [if I didn't]," Beyonce explains in the interview with Oprah.
"We would fight sometimes, and it took about two years, to when I was 20, for him to realize, 'Oh, she is an adult now, and if she doesn't wanna do something, I can't make her do it.'"
Check out a clip from the interview below, and watch the Oprah special in full on Feb. 16 at 8PM ET.
Beyonce's 31st Birthday Photos
- Beyonce was rocking yacht-style in a preppy sweater.
- Sexy as ever in a swimsuit and sweater, Bey never stops being a star.
- Beyonce's birthday wine.
- Birthday strawberries for Beyonce.
- Here's Queen Bey cutting her adorable cake - it looks home made! Wonder if Jay-Z made time in his busy schedule to bake it for h
- Beyonce's First Week on Instagram
- Bey gets political.
- Bey back in the studio!
- Here she is showing off her latest outfit.
- Modeling a unique silk dress, the "Halo" singer looks as delicate as a china doll.
- Supporting Brooklyn due to her husband Jay-Z's roots!
- Back in the studio, Beyonce is channeling Bob Dylan. That bodes well for this new album!
- Fun Facts About Beyonce
- Beyonce & Blue Ivy Carter
- Beyonce & Jay-Z
- Beyonce & Solange Knowles